Whilst I was creating Adam’s Children’s Story Book Advent Snowman it got me thinking. Here I am encouraging a love for books in Adam, yet I do not take time for myself to read. When we moved into our house we placed several bookshelves in our dining room to house my book collection. However, since Adam was born I barely have the energy to read.
(This post contains affiliate links)
So this Christmas I am allowing myself time to read and have created my own Mummy Book Advent Calendar in the shape of a Christmas Tree. The difference between Adam’s Snowman Advent and my Christmas Tree Advent is the number of books I have chosen. Instead of 24 books I opted for 12 novels.
I also made the conscious decision not to add a date on any of my books. I don’t want to put myself under any pressure to complete a novel in a set time. My advent calendar may last 12 days, 24 days or even just one book a month throughout 2016. The aim is to ignite my love of reading again.
I haven’t bought any new books for my Mummy Book Advent Calendar. I have used a mixture of books I have read before and want to read again and those that I purchased many years ago and never got the opportunity to open.
The list includes some of my favourite authors. In no particular order here are the books included in my Christmas Tree Mummy Book Advent Calendar:
* The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. This is a book I have read before. It is a rare occasion that I actually enjoyed the book and the film. I want to re-read the book again after seeing the film.
* Those In Peril by Wilbur Smith. When I saw 6 weeks pregnant I attended a talk given by Wilbur Smith. I was in the early throws of Hyperemesis Gravidarum and it was actually the last time I left the house other than for doctor or hospital appointments. When I met him I asked him to sign the book to my and Bump aka Adam.
* The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. A book I have read before and loved. I want to read it again since seeing the television adaptation.
* The Ignorance of Blood by Robert Wilson. Strangely I do not have any recollection of buying this book so I will be interested in reading more about it.
* The Long Song by Andrea Levy. This book has unfortunately sat on my shelf for far too long and has been left unread.
* Chart Throb by Ben Elton. I used to love music contestant shows until I read this book. Now I can’t stand shows like X-Factor! I am hoping the book is as funny the second time.
* Elephant Song by Wilbur Smith. This was the second book I purchased when meeting Wilbur Smith.
* Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. As a teenager this was the first book that introduced me to the heritage of China. Over the years I have read it several times and with each reading I learn new things about China’s past.
* Eleven by Mark Watson. Before Adam was born we would regularly go to see stand up comedy shows. Mark Watson is one comedian we have seen several times. I was over the moon when I heard he was writing a novel. I managed to get my copy of Eleven signed. This is one of the books I have read before and it has such an interesting story line.
* Vermilion Gate by Aiping Mu. This is a book I have tried several times to read before now and never get past the first few chapters. I think the weight of the book has put me off – not any more!
* World without End by Ken Follett. Another favourite author and book I want to experience for the second time.
* Light On Snow by Anita Shreve. The story line behind this book seems very interesting although I have heard mixed reviews about the book. I will get the chance to make up my own mind after reading it myself!
So 12 books in total. I wonder how long it will take me to read them all. I am looking forward to the challenge and making time for me to read.
Why not take a look at the Children’s Story Book Advent Snowman I created for Adam:
Are you looking for Christmas Ornaments crafts to do with your children? Then take a look at Red Ted Art’s Christmas Ornaments ebook. Find 30 festive easy-to-do ideas all in one place. Click here to find out more.
Check out our other ways to play with….