After being inspired by Love, Play and Learn I thought we would try the activity with Adam and his cousin Beth. Check our Love, Play and Learn with how to make the rainbow spaghetti.
We were at Nana’s house for the day. I thought it would interesting to see if Adam got more involved with the messy play if he watched his cousin play with it. After covering the floor with a plastic table cloth.
I tipped two of the bags of spaghetti into a bowl and let Beth and Adam explore.
Amazingly Adam wasn’t put off by the texture and saw it as a ’taking-it-out-and-putting-it-back-in-activity’ whereas Beth saw it as lunch!
They played well alongside each other although it was interesting observing their different personalities. Beth got stuck in straight away. She covered her body in the spaghetti, rubbing it between her toes and put what she could grab into her mouth. Adam, on the other hand, barely dropped a piece, only touched it with his fingers and preferred to transfer the spaghetti from one place to another rather than explore its texture.
Later that afternoon, back at home, we got the rainbow spaghetti out again but this time I gave him some kitchen utensils and a tray. He was more animated the second time and enjoyed watching the spaghetti fall from a height back into the bowl.
I was surprised by his fine motor skills as he was able to pick up the individual strands of spaghetti easily. As always, Adam ended up using his throwing skills and found it hilarious to throw spaghetti across the room in big chunks. So glad we have a wooden floor!
* Cooked spaghetti
* Food colouring – we would now use Wilton Food Colouring (affiliate link)
* Ziploc Heavy Duty Freezer Bags (affiliate link)
* Large bowl
Adam was 18 months old.
You May Also Like:
Latest posts by Emma Edwards (see all)
- 50 Things To Do Before You’re 11 3/4 with National Trust - July 28, 2017
- Messy Minion Tuff Spot - July 28, 2017
- Rainy Day Activities With Flying Tiger Copenhagen - July 26, 2017
- Camp Kindness – The Kindness Elves Summer Camp - July 26, 2017
- 3 Wooden Train Track Accessories From Hape - July 26, 2017