Day 26 of our 31 Day Sensory Play Challenge is a chance to explore pipe cleaners. We love using pipe cleaners for developing fine motor skills and hand eye coordination. Pipe cleaners are also magnetic so for today’s activity we created magnetic Valentine hearts.
The activity was easy to set up. I manipulated red and pink pipe cleaners into the shape of a heart. These were placed into a ziploc bag. I also added a sheet of red foam to add colour to the sensory bag’s background. It also helped to the keep the shape of the bag during the activity.
Using a magnet Adam was able to move the hearts around the ziploc bag. The smaller hearts moved around the bag easily and Adam was fascinated. The larger hearts required more control over the magnet.
I wanted Adam to see how the magnet could move the pipe cleaners up a bottle so I quickly made him a pipe cleaner sensory bottle. Adam kept shouting “up” to the pipe cleaners when he put the magnet up to the bottle. We have now fallen more in love with pipe cleaners!
* Pipe Cleaners (affiliate link)
* Ziploc Heavy Duty Freezer Bags (affiliate link). Red foam sheet optional.
* Plastic bottle and scissors
31 Day Sensory Play Challenge Blog Hop
Other sensory activities using pipe cleaners:
Check out our other ways to play with…
Latest posts by Emma Edwards (see all)
- 50 Things To Do Before You’re 11 3/4 with National Trust - July 28, 2017
- Messy Minion Tuff Spot - July 28, 2017
- Rainy Day Activities With Flying Tiger Copenhagen - July 26, 2017
- Camp Kindness – The Kindness Elves Summer Camp - July 26, 2017
- 3 Wooden Train Track Accessories From Hape - July 26, 2017