Early on in our 31 Day Sensory Play Challenge I noticed that the rain water in our Tuff Spot Tray (affiliate link) had frozen overnight. I brought the Tuff Spot inside for a bit of ice play. Adam would not touch the ice at all. Even when involving cars and making an ice ramp he was hesitant.
This made me realise when it came to Day 14 of our challenge Adam would not be happy exploring ice so needed to adapt my activity. As he continues to be interested in dinosaurs I decided to create Ice Dinosaurs.
I used our Silicone Dinosaur Mould purchased from Asda and poured in coloured water created using Wilton Food Colouring (affiliate link). I popped the mould in the freezer overnight. The dinosaurs were easy to get out of the mould.
I placed the dinosaurs in a sensory bin containing lentils, chick peas and corn kernels. I knew Adam wouldn’t resist playing with the sensory bin and would eventually play with the ice dinosaurs.
Adam enjoyed pouring the sensory bin base over the dinosaurs and true to form he did start to move the dinosaurs around the box.
So I decided to move the Ice Dinosaurs into the bathroom and see how quickly they would melt. I filled the sink with warm water and Adam had a great time throwing the ice into the sink and using the small scoops to pour water on top of the dinosaurs.
It didn’t take the long for the dinosaurs to melt, although interestingly they kept their shape until the very end. The water turned a murky swamp colour but Adam continued the play by pouring water into the small bowls until they would sink.
* Silicone Dinosaur mould – ours was purchased from Asda.
* Wilton Food Colouring (affiliate link)
* Our sensory bin contained lentils, chick peas and corn kernels.
31 Day Sensory Play Challenge Blog Hop:
Other sensory fun activities with ice:
[inlinkz_linkup id=596523 mode=1]
Latest posts by Emma Edwards (see all)
- 50 Things To Do Before You’re 11 3/4 with National Trust - July 28, 2017
- Messy Minion Tuff Spot - July 28, 2017
- Rainy Day Activities With Flying Tiger Copenhagen - July 26, 2017
- Camp Kindness – The Kindness Elves Summer Camp - July 26, 2017
- 3 Wooden Train Track Accessories From Hape - July 26, 2017