Did you used to play the traditional Wooden Cup and Ball Game as a child? It is the classic game where you have to get the ball in the cup by throwing it in the air and catching it. I remember the frustration of trying time and time again to flip the ball into that cup! It was great for hand-eye co-ordination and perseverance. I decided to make our own version of the game but with a summer inspired twist. I wanted to see if it was possible to make an Ice Cream Cup and Ball Game.
I do have a confession. I purchased a “Make Your Own Ice Cream” craft kit which contained all the resources needed. However, I will show you have to make the items yourself.
Resources needed to make the Ice Cream Cup and Ball Game:
* Card, a cup and scissors
* Different coloured wool
* Four brown felt triangles (with the pointy end cut off)
How to make the Ice Cream Pom Poms:
1. You will need to create eight card discs in order to make four pom poms. Draw around a small cup onto card and cut out the circle. Draw another small circle in the middle and cut this out. Repeat until you have eight discs.
2. Choose the colour wool you would like to make your ice cream pom pom. Cut the wool into metre lengths.
3. Take two of the card discs and place them on top of each other.
4. Take one length of wool. Whilst holding one end of the wool against the top of the disc, loop the other end through the central hole and back around to the top. Keep the wool taut. Continue doing this until there is almost no wool left.
5. Take another length of wool and tie it to the end of the first length. Continue looping. Repeat this process until the disc is covered in wool.
6. Use scissors to cut open the wool where it wraps around the outer edge of the card discs. Ensure you do not cut the wool in the centre of the disc.
7. Using another length of wool, draw it between the card disks. Pull the wool taut after each rotation and tie a knot. Leave one long length of wool from the pom pom free – this will be used later.
8. Remove the card discs, fluff up the pom pom and trim away any strands (other than the long length)
9. Repeat the process for the other wool colours.
How to make a felt Ice Cream Cone:
1. Draw a triangle onto thick brown felt with a rounded base.
2. Cut the triangle out along with the tip off of the triangle
3. Using brown wool to stitch the cone together.
4. Repeat the process until you have four cones.
5. Take the long length of wool which remains on the ice cream pom pom and push it through the cone. Tie a knot in the end. Your pom pom ice cream should now hang out of the ice cream cone.
Playing the Ice Cream Cup and Ball Game:
The aim of the game is to get the ice cream pom pom into the ice cream cone. Although this sounds easy it does take a lot of practice to master it. To play, hold the base of the ice cream cone and let the ice cream pom pom hang freely. Toss the ice cream pom pom upward by jerking your arm that is holding the cone. Attempt to catch the pom pom ice cream into the cone. If you succeed at getting the pom pom ice cream into the cone then you get a point.
Repeat the game to see how many points you can get in a row. If you miss, then you have to start over with zero points. Hours of gross motor fun and makes a great Busy Bag activity too.
You May Also Like: